Thursday, April 12, 2012

I have learned my lesson...

So I have now realized what will happen when I procrastinate posting for.. um.. Over two weeks now. Gosh is there a lot to tell. When I started this post (Monday), I was sitting outside on my father's laptop as I write, my back door open and my dog off leash. Only one explanation for such an occurrence, and that would be that the fence has been installed!!! It was put up this Monday, and I would like to say that I am very happy with the work! Now that that's said, I shall do a recap. It'll be en medias res for those Odyssey fans out there. Or perhaps picture frame writing for the Catcher in the Rye lovers. Either way, bad english class lessons aside (Iago?? Sorry. Had to do one more.), I shall now start form where I would have two weeks ago when I should have posted.

On March twenty-eighth, my mother and I searched through the web and a few catalogs, fliers, and recommendations we had received in an attempt to find the best options for purchasing bee equipment. It took hours. Eventually we added up the figures and decided to go with what we had named "Option 'C'"- the cheapest option. Well. I guess I should put it as "the most cost effective option," but its all the same. The paper we scribbled on looks as follows:

C: Long Lane
Hive Components 238
Pollen Patty 3.5
-Cannon Bee 89
-Nature's nectar 4.25
-Pkg Bees 97 120
                ------------
                 431.75
                 466.75

Bassically I spent the day learning how to order off the phone. Sadly, when we went to the city after all was said and done with the orders they were already closed. We ended up going the next day before practice and put in for the fence permit. It was finished in two days and the fence scheduled for the past Monday (relative to now).



The only other thing to say really is that the equipment came a while ago and I think I am happy with that as well. It seems to be good quality and it's sturdy enough for what I'm doing. Plus the people were very kind- promising to have it in my possession before the bees came. I have tried on my vail- it works well enough with the exception of the missing hat that I have replaced with a ball cap. I also practiced with my smoker. It took a bit of work because I started with the smoker fuel at never lit and only smoked. None of the other kindling caught on fire. I eventually gave up and found a piece of paper that I set ablaze. Then the fire for roaring! I burned my right thumb a bit, but it's nothing bad- already healed. I played with that for a bit and I believe I have the hang of it. The last thing I can say I have acomplished was the construction of the base of the hive. The only issue is that even though I took the bricks from the path we were removing anyway, my mother doesn't want them gone for fear of a twisted angle. I can't blame her. So I'll put those back soon and use some of the bricks by the garage.



Environmental Tip of the Post!

I know this ones easy, but it should be noted. Remember to turn off the water when your brushing your teeth or washing your hands. Fix any leaky faucets as well. Also, try to shorten your showers to below seven to ten minuets or so. This one will be really hard for me and it always has been. That's why I'm bringing it up. So save water and energy by keeping down the running water and turning down those thermostats. I barely have mine one anymore with this nice weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment