Friday, April 13, 2012

New Arrivals!!!



The bees finally came! It turned out that the eleventh was the date they were shipped out from Ohio. It took them three days and I could tell that they were uncomfortable ones by the agitated noise they were making when I walked into my bathroom. Yes. My bathroom. My father came home before me and decided that the garage was too cold for them and thus decided that the bathroom would be a good alternative.

So we sprayed them with the sugar water solution as detected, and they became very excited. The lot of them were hungrily lapping up the syrup from the sides of the cage and all I have to say on that subject is that their tongues are so cool!!! My boyfriend and mom thought they were creepy, but I couldn't help myself as I sat on the tile floor watching them eat. Strangely enough they seem resemble oods from Doctor Who. It just fascinates me.

They eventually quieted down after a while and started to clump up the way I know content bees tend to do in the package, but they were off to one side and not down the middle arround the feed can, so I was worried about whether or not the supplier had placed enough food in their crate. I decided to be on the safe side and, though no one told me to do this, I took a small chunk out of my pollen patty and scraped it against the cage sides in a few places. They seemed immediately different in tone of buzzing and I could tell they were happy by the way they surrounded the small circles of food. I guess my girls needed protein!

Hopefully the addition of pollen didnt excite them too much, because the buzzing has increased again. I sit in my room typing this, and I can hear them from the bathroom next door. Even if it has, they have over a half a day at least to eat up and quiet down. Fed bees are happy bees anyway, and I want them as pleasent as possible for when I dump them into their new home.

Also, I have purchased a pack of sunflower seeds that I hope to get growing soon. I like to think of it as a welcomeing gift to the new girls.



Environmental Tip Time!

Power time! That is power saving... time. Either way, the point is that electricity has an impact as well. Whenever you leave a room, turn out the lights, TV, and whatever else you may be using. Even when you have, say, the coffee maker plugged in but not on, it's using energy. Unplug appliances and chargers whenever your not using them, and unplug larger things like TVs and computers when you leave on vacation. Remember. Even when your not home, energy will still be used, but it won't be used to help anyone. It'll save you some money as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment